Happy International Women’s Day!
I’m joining Jan in celebrating Women’s Day and talking about this year’s theme…Inspiring Change!
Who currently inspires you with your health and fitness?
I stepped into the blogging community in October. I was immediately overwhelmed by the amount of women I was inspired by. The health and fitness bloggers have shared so much and added a tremendous amount to my life. It’s more than their delicious recipes and heart pumping workouts. It’s the honesty and effort they put into speaking out about their wellness and fitness journeys. It’s the encouragement they offer other women to be strong and healthy. It’s very easy to be competitive in this industry but the bloggers I have followed are open-minded, warm and helpful women who truly inspire myself and others.
These are just a few and there are many more out there who can inspire you. I am so grateful to them!!
How have you inspired others in your life with your health and fitness?
I like to think that my blog has started to inspire others. I hope that my love for weight training will inspire those across the globe, but where I truly believe I have inspired women, is in my teaching. I work in a field usually dominated by men. Physical Education is a place where people imagine a male with a whistle, rolling out playground balls. While that is a part of my job, the most important part, is being a role model for my students…especially my girls.
I teach 6th grade through 12th grade and my lessons are taught in the classroom, the fitness center and the school gym. In these 3 places, I try my best to inspire girls to find strength. I encourage them to be strong, healthy young women. I want them to see that the world of fitness and health is not only important, but a place they can thrive in. I teach them to help one another and to love themselves. There is no better feeling than a student who feels they can come to you for advice or for a strength training program. Everyday I work, I hope that I inspire at least one person… to be a stronger person.
My middle school girls testing out the Bosu balls for the first time!
What is the best piece of advice you’ve been given?
I can’t remember who said this to me, but I know it’s stuck in my brain. I of course, encourage women to have an interest in fitness and my advice to every woman, of every age, of every walk of life, is to find a physical activity that makes you happy….and DO THAT!
Forget the “should like this” and the “why don’t you like that”s! So often I thought, “I should be a runner” because that’s what others did. I thought, “Geeez, I’m supposed to like yoga right?” While now, I love to try everything (yup a little running and yoga is awesome), I know where my happiness is when it comes to health and fitness. I encourage every woman to find what makes them happy and what keeps them going back for more and DO THAT!
Thank you, to all the women who have inspired and encouraged me to find what makes me feel happy, healthy and strong!
JOIN IN! Who Inspires You to Be Healthy?
Have an INSPIRING Women’s Day everyone!
Look at these two! Smiley, happy, not a care in the world. Little did I know, I was living with a NON MEAL PREPPER! hahaha That’s right you heard me. When Tiago and I first moved in together our biggest challenge was food. He and I completely differ when we prep and cook.
When cooking solo, I found that I could easily whip up something in a large portion and eat that same meal for the next few days. Sunday food prep day was a GIVEN! For me, not thinking about meals eliminated food hassle and sometimes poor choices.
For BF, on the other hand, he gets very bored with the same meal and isn’t as fond of 3 day leftovers as I am. I can’t blame him! So in order to make our food lives easier, we truly had to come up with some compromises. I think after many months of figuring it all out, we finally have it down. Perhaps this can help you if you find yourself living with someone who may not have your eating style or is a non meal prepper! They ARE out there!!
1. Chose a meal you always do together – For our schedules, dinner is our meal. (I assume it’s the common choice for most people). Since Tiago is a firefighter, his schedule is very different than mine, no matter what happens, dinner is when we cook AND eat together. This way we don’t always feel like we’re eating separately.
2. Find a common ground within the meal – It’s became too difficult to make separate meals every time so BF and I always share the protein. Steak, chicken, burgers, we make sure that it’s cooked in a way we both agree on. We do, at times, split the sides. I make veggies that he may steal from and he makes pastas or rice that I’ll sneak a little on my plate. It works out nicely.
3. We shop 2x a week – This can work for any food prepper! We soon realized what we wanted to eat on Monday, no longer seemed appealing on Friday. We also saw a large amount of our budget going to Sunday groceries or trash for produce we weren’t happy to eat by the end of the week. Shopping on Sunday and Thursday has improved our budget and our taste buds for food!
4. It’s still ok to plan ahead - Prep or not, you’ll look ahead to plan your meals…together. I used to tell you what I was going to eat, protein..carb..fat. Now we’re a little more flexible and have a general view. While I’m still getting used to it, now I know we won’t just buy anything but rather something that will compliment our protein choice.
5. Prep your other meals – In true meal prepper form, I still prep for other meals. Breakfast I make for myself. That’s my time, post on that to come Snacks and lunches I still prepare, just to be on the safe side!!
It may sound silly to some that we plan meals together, or even strange that we don’t just eat separate foods all the time, but meal time is important to us. Both of us being Portuguese means that food and cooking together is special and important to us. I know I’m not alone on this one. Hopefully these tiny tips can help you if you find yourself in the saaaaame situation!
Do you have any tips? Have a beautiful weekend everyone!
Don’t forget tomorrow is International Women’s Day!! Feel free to link up with Jan for that one!!